What’s the #1 rule your parents had for you as a kid? And did they actually enforce it?
Two in five Americans think their parents were stricter than most when they were a kid. Less than one in five said less strict.
Most people think parents TODAY are less strict though. 75% agree with that, and over a third think parents should be MUCH stricter than they are.
According to the poll, here are the top 10 rules WE had to follow as kids:
1. You had to do your chores. 75% of us did.
2. You had a curfew, 75%.
3. You had to go to bed by a certain time, 72%.
4. You had to study and get good grades, 71%.
5. No alcohol. 69% say their parents set rules, or talked to them about it.
6. No smoking, 68%. 28% even had rules about caffeine.
7. You had to eat everything on your plate, 65%.
8. Rules about driving, 59%. Like you weren’t allowed to drive at night, or with too many friends in the car.
9. Rules about going to parties, 55%.
10. Rules about the clothes you wore, 55%.
Here are a few more that were a little less common:
- Half of us had rules about dating
- 46% had to get a job
- 42% were expected to participate in sports or extracurriculars
- 31% had rules about video games