Everyone knows that Canadians say “sorry” (or ‘SOAR-ee’) way too much . . . just in normal conversation . . . but what about Americans?
A poll asked people if men and women tend to say “sorry” or apologize in everyday conversations too often, or not often enough.
45% think MEN don’t say sorry enough. 15% say they apologize too much . . . and 18% say they say sorry “about the right amount.”
20% think WOMEN don’t say sorry enough, while 40% say they apologize too much . . . and 21% say they say sorry “about the right amount.”
That said, when you break the responses down by gender, BOTH men and women think THEY say sorry too much . . . and the OTHER gender doesn’t apologize enough.
BONUS: Top Situations When You Should ALWAYS Apologize!
- When a woman says “I’m not pregnant” after you nod at her stomach and ask “Boy or girl?”
- When the customer behind you says “This is the ’15 items or less’ line” after you put your 187th can of cat food on the conveyer belt.
- When pills clatter all over the sink after you open your host’s medicine cabinet while using their bathroom.
- When your 8-year-old bursts into tears after you hit him with that Draw 4-card in a game of Uno.
- When you’re a middle-aged man with a ponytail and . . . No, that’s it. Just straight-up apologize for this. Period.