Beginning May 1st, Phase 1 of reopening Texas will begin. Among items covered:
1. April 30th – the stay at home order will be allowed to expire
2. All retail stores, malls, theaters, libraries and museums can reopen on May 1st at 25% occupant capacity
3. Sole proprietors can go back to work now
4. Barbershops, salons, gyms and bars CANNOT reopen during Phase 1; possibly can be open by mid-May
5. Outdoor sports are allowed but limited to groups of 4 participants only (golf, tennis)
6. Churches and Worship halls may reopen but practice safe distancing and limited capacities
To progress from Phase I to Phase II, COVID-19 cases must remain contained and all must continue to practice safe distancing. Also, the governor will be tracking data such as the hospitalization rate, death and hotspots to make this decision. Hospitals must keep 15% of bed capacity open for COVID-19 patients.
To reiterate Gov Abbott, permission to open is not a requirement to open. Businesses may choose to stay closed if they so choose. In the same respect, citizens have permission to access open businesses; however, citizens are not required to be out in public unless they so choose.
Lastly, this Executive Order supersedes any county or city policies.