This Sunday (6/20/21) is Father’s Day – and if you just go by how much people are spending, it appears we love our dad about 15% LESS than we love our mom.
The average person will spend $190 on Dad this year compared to the $219 we spent on Mother’s Day last month.
Here are six more Father’s Day stats:
1. 55% of Americans will celebrate Father’s Day this year in one way or another. Another 7% said maybe.
2. 52% will buy a gift . . . 40% are planning a meal or celebration . . . 19% are going out for dinner . . . 27% will do a phone call or video chat . . . and 39% will buy a card.
3. Over half of us will do something for our own dad, but he’s not the only person we’re celebrating. 37% will also do something for their husband or partner . . . 11% will do something for their father-in-law . . . and 7% said their grandfather.
4. The top money-related things we’ve asked our dad for help with are: Buying a car . . . career advice . . . budgeting . . . and buying a house.
5. Over half of us think Father’s Day is a “real” holiday we should celebrate. 35% think it’s just a commercial holiday we’ve all been pressured into, so companies can make money off it.
6. One in five dads say they’ve been DISAPPOINTED on Father’s Day before, because their family didn’t do enough.
And, if you haven’t gotten your dad anything for Father’s Day yet, you’ve still got time to get most of the stuff on this list. Someone polled a bunch of dads and asked what they want for Father’s Day.
Here are the top ten things dads are hoping to get:
1. Doing something special with the family, like a hike or going to a pool. A separate Father’s Day poll ALSO found that’s #1 this year.
2. A card. It actually tied for first place.
4. Something homemade. Especially dads with young kids.
7. Something related to one of his hobbies.
8. A gift certificate for something fun.
9. Having the day to himself. One in nine dads want everyone to leave them alone.
10. Food, beer, wine, or liquor.
Only 3% of dads said they’d love to get flowers.
(YouGov / YouGov / Lending Tree)