A big study on SWEARING identified the top ten big cities in the United States that swear the most. The national average is 21 cuss words per day!
The ten cities with the biggest potty mouths are:
- Columbus, Ohio – 36
- Las Vegas, Nevada – 30
- Jacksonville, Florida – 28
- Oklahoma City, Oklahoma – 25
- Dallas, Texas – 25
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania – 25
- Indianapolis, Indiana – 25
- San Francisco, California – 24
- Louisville, Kentucky – 24
- Fort Worth, Texas – 24
Two cities tied for the least amount of swearing: Phoenix and Portland, Oregon, at just 14 R-rated words a day.
Here are a few more quick stats on America’s swearing habits.
1. The place you’re most likely to use some choice words is at home. 55% of us do most of our swearing at home. Another 24% said while we’re with friends . . . 7% swear the most while driving . . . and 7% said at work.
2. Work is the top place we WANT to swear but hold back. In front of strangers and in front of our KIDS also ranked high.
3. The #1 person we swear at is . . . ourselves. 54% said they swear at themselves more than anyone else. Swearing at your friends is next with 24%. 8% said they swear at their significant other the most . . . 4% said coworkers . . . 3% said siblings . . . and 1% swear at their parents more than anyone else.
4. The most universal things that make us want to swear are: When we hurt ourselves . . . when we have road rage . . . when we get bad news . . . when we’re cracking a joke . . . when we’re arguing . . . and when we get GOOD news.
5. Our favorite fill-in words to use instead of swearing are: Fudge . . . shoot . . . frick or frickin’ . . . crap . . . dang . . . heck . . . darn or darn it . . . holy cow . . . dang or dang it . . . and freaking.
6. Only 7% of American adults say they never swear. The rest of us do, at least occasionally.