Here are Big Dave’s 5 Random Facts for your Tuesday – January 18th, 2022. Let’s learn something together:
- The second B in “BYOB” doesn’t mean “beer” everywhere. A poll in the U.K. asked what it stood for and 39% said “bottle” . . . 38% said “booze” . . . and only 5% said “beer.” For the record, 17% said they didn’t know what it meant.
- “Cast Away” was filmed over two years, because it took Tom Hanks about a year to lose weight and grow his hair out for all the island scenes. During the year off, Robert Zemeckis and most of the crew filmed “What Lies Beneath”.
- Jerry Seinfeld made at least $30,000 for every line he had on “Seinfeld”, based on his salary and the show’s syndication deals.
- Americans got the word for turkeys because they wrongly thought they were from Turkey. In the country of Turkey, they call the birds hindis, because they wrongly thought they were from India. They’re actually native to the Americas.
- The Crayola crayon color “Peach” was called “Flesh” until 1962, when they felt it was racist to consider that THE flesh color. Also they didn’t change the “Indian Red” crayon color to “Chestnut” until 1999.
Be sure to use one of these little tidbits in your life this week!