A lot of the folksy “wise” sayings people pass down from generation to generation might sound good.
But how true are they, really?
Someone put together a list of “wise” sayings that just don’t make a lot of sense, are actually kind of dumb or can’t measure up to what happens in real life.
Here are 8 highlights:
1. “Flattery will get you nowhere.” It’s actually pretty effective, when it’s sincere.
2. “Good things come to those who wait.” Sure, patience is a virtue. But most of the time you have to grab the proverbial bull by the horns and take action to GET what you want.
3. “You’ll sleep like a baby.” Problem is – babies are famous for NOT sleeping well.
4. “Money doesn’t buy happiness.” Maybe not pure, everlasting bliss & contentment – but having more money sure can solve a lot of problems.
5. “Cheaters never prosper.” You can easily argue Wall Street & Politics are both BUILT on lying & cheating your way into more money.
6. “What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.” Not always true, not even close.
7. “Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me.” Sometimes emotional damage can be even worse than physical problems, and can last much, much longer.
8. “There are no stupid questions.” This might be a good saying for kids, students or trainees – but less true for most experienced & seasoned adults.