6 Popcorn Stats for National Popcorn Day (1/19/22)!
January 19, 2022 4:35AM CST
Today (1/19/22) is NATIONAL POPCORN DAY, so a lot of movie theaters are giving it out for free! Or just pop some yourself if you’re staying in.
A recent poll found it’s the #1 must-have for a “perfect movie night.”
Here are 6 stats for National Popcorn Day:
- Only 8% of us HATE popcorn. 92% love it, or at least like it.
- Even with the variety we have now, butter and salt are still our favorite flavors. Two recent polls put butter at number one, with about 30% of the vote in both. After butter and salt, white cheddar is next. Caramel corn and kettle corn also ranked high. Only 2% of us prefer it plain with no flavoring.
- Women like kettle corn more than men. 7% said yes, compared to 13% of guys.
- Movie theater popcorn is our favorite type. But if we’re making it at home, our favorite brands are Orville Redenbacher and Pop Secret. The brand Act 2 placed third.
- Not all types of corn are poppable. The “hull” or skin on the kernel has to be thick enough to let pressure build up. So they use a specific type of corn for popping.
- Popcorn can shoot three feet in the air when it pops. And it pops into two basic shapes . . . butterfly or mushroom. Butterfly is more common. Mushroom is when the whole thing looks like one round, fluffy cloud.
(National Today / SWNS / Popcorn.org)